In 1762, the year of the siege and the taking of Havana by the English, there was already the hamlet of this name. For many years before the real estate had a warehouse there to deposit the objects that did not fit in the warehouses of Havana. After 1763, cabotage navigators and ribera carpenters were settled there for the repairs of merchant ships, and several workshops were established, in addition to the one created for the plaza’s maestranza.
A fire reduced everything to ashes in the year 1785. In 1792, once the farmhouse had grown again, the riverbank master José Tiscornia built a dock and a careenage for smaller ships; example that, followed by other masters, resulted in the whole western part of its maritime coast being covered with hardwood planks over piles.
In 1846 it had 894 inhabitants and counted on 120 houses between masonry, wood, and mud and guano. In 1858 it had reached 1,061 people its population.
Some authors prefer to write Casablanca, instead of the Casa Blanca, like us before this revision of 2005. Really in Havana it is pronounced like Casablanca, however, the texts assign it Casa Blanca.
The Christ of Casa Blanca
On the horizon of Havana, on the hill of Casablanca, the Christ contemplates us.
A call was made to carry out the work and Jilma Madera presented her sketch that was selected. So he moved to Carrara, Italy, because the work was carved there because the marble of this southern region is one of the best in the world.
As an extremely jealous artist he wanted to give Christ the austerity, love and strength that placed him next to the poor of the earth, as Martí said.
It was at Christmas, on December 25, 1958, when the statue of Christ was unveiled. With its 15 meters high and a pedestal of 3, the Christ of Havana, is from the mestizo expression of its face and its forms, one of the symbols of Havana, the record of nights and days on the sea is singing between love and faith, faith and life.
For more than half a century, this statue has been sculpted by the hands of a Cuban, Jilma Madera, author of other emblematic pieces, such as the Martí del Turquino.
Within the cultural spaces located in this Council we have the Casa del Che Cultural Center in La Cabaña located within the Complex of Historical Military Museums, specifically the Morro-Cabaña Military Historical Park, on the Carretera del Cristo.
Learn more about this wonderful town stopped in time with the offer Walking tour Casa Blanca, ask for information.
Submit your review